Friday 2 May 2014

A Nigerian Can Win Grammy – Dre Sticks

Dre-sticksBorn Odunlami Oluwadamilare Adediran, Dre-sticks is a talented artiste, sound engineer and music producer.  Presently signed to Beverly Records, Dre Sticks has performed in various notable shows in Nigeria and has also worked with numerous prominent Nigerian artistes, including JJC, Vector, Oyinkansola, Queen Salawa Abeni, Bolade and many other known acts. He sits down with ABISOLA ALAWODE.

Why the name Dre Sticks?
Well, I started music as a little drummer boy in church. As for the stage-name, my birth name is Dare, which I made into ‘Dre’. I got the ‘sticks’ from the drum sticks, so the name ‘Dre Sticks’ stuck.
At what point did you decide to pursue music professionally?
I started music professionally when I got into the university and since then I have not looked back.
What are some of the challenges you’ve faced as a musician in the Nigerian music industry?
You know, basically, the Nigerian entertainment industry is really saturated, so one has to strive to stand-out musically, which is what I’m doing. Also, one has to stand-out financially too (entertainment needs money). Well, in all, I am thankful to God for his blessings all the way.
Your latest single Bamikalo just hit the airwaves and it has got good reception. Tell us more about it.
Bamikalo is a very dance-able song. It is a musical piece I made just to express myself as a good vocalist, producer and instrumentalist. When you hear the song you’ll understand better what I’m talking about. Bamikalo is a statement to the effect that you can make commercial music without compromising good music attributes. The video is also out there on every screen. Just enjoy.
Apart from being a musician, you are also a sound engineer and music producer. How do you combine all these talents?
Being an artiste, a producer and sound/mix engineer shows that Dre Sticks is a real, complete musician. Music is what I do; it’s my way of life, so, combining the three has been fun so far.
What are your thoughts on the future of Nigerian music?
Most definitely, Dre Sticks is part of the future of Nigerian music. I can see a Nigerian grabbing a Grammy soon! We’ve come a long way, as far as music and entertainment are concerned. We are going to get there soon.
Are there any artiste’s you’ll like to collaborate with, both internationally and locally?
I would love to do a song with Brandy, Banky W and Don Jazzy. The list is long, though!
Do you have any musical influences? If yes who are they and why do they matter?
My musical influences from when I started music include Boyz II Men, Lagbaja, Brian McKnight, Fela, Sikiru Ayinde Barrister, just to mention a few. I love them because they were and still are real talents, real musicians and you can always find their elements in my music too. I’m talking about Rn’B, Pop, Fuji and Afrobeat.
What’s your ultimate goal as an artiste?
My goal is to be a real, successful musician and a role model. That’s where I find my fulfilment.
What are you up to now and when should fans expect a full-length album from you?
For now, I’m still focusing on my singles. I have both the audio and videos for 5Star and Bamikalo out already. But you can expect a big collaboration soon and some more videos from Dre Sticks. Most definitely, the album is coming through too and it will be from the stables of Beverly Records.
Who is Dre Sticks?
Dre Sticks is a graduate of Urban and Regional Planning from the Federal University of Technology, Akure. He is also a full-time musician and a super music producer.
Any word of advice to your colleagues?
For my colleagues in the music industry, you have to master your craft and keep your game tight. Believe in God, you’ll get there.
And for your fans…?
They’re the true reason why I can’t stop making good music. I have got so much more music to serve you all. Na una be the star wey dey make Dre Sticks shine! God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment